Inland Empire News
City of San Bernardino seeks bankruptcy protection
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- The San Bernardino City Council on Tuesday voted to seek bankruptcy protection.
San Bernardino faces a $46 million budget shortfall and may not be able to pay all its employees over the next three months. As recommended by the city manager, the city council voted to file for Chapter 9 protection.
Four members of the council voted in favor, two voted against and one abstained.
Mayor Pat Morris said the council was forced to either find a way to cut close to 30 percent of its budget or file for bankruptcy protection.
Morris said that there is such little revenue coming in that even if they were to close every park, library, and even City Hall, the city would still have to cut its police and fire departments.
"The council is going to have to make some very difficult decisions with relation to our budget," Morris said. "We have had a major meltdown in our local economy, regionally, statewide and nationally."
Councilwoman Wendy McCammack said in some ways bankruptcy might ultimately be a good thing for taxpayers, because it will involve complete restructuring of the city's finances. She believes it will also protect police and fire.
The vote by San Bernardino follows recent bankruptcy filings by Stockton and Mammoth Lakes.
san bernardino county, budget, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped 12 min ago
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC 44 min ago
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 33 min ago
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler