Inland Empire News
Riverside man found guilty of killing wife, daughter in 2009
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A Riverside County man has been found guilty of murdering his wife and daughter back in 2009.
Michael Barbar, 54, admitted that he strangled his wife, 43-year-old Maysam Barbar, and their 6-year-old daughter Tamara.
The two were found dead in their Perris home in the 2800 block of Banner Place Nov. 14, 2009.
Barbar testified in court that he lost control of his emotions while under the influence of alcohol and drugs. He also testified that in the months before the killings, he learned that his wife had committed adultery with at least three different men, including a 2002 affair that resulted in Tamara's birth.
A jury in Riverside found him guilty of two counts of first-degree murder after three hours of deliberations. He was also found guilty of lying in wait, which makes Barbar eligible for the death penalty. The penalty phase begins on July 30.
riverside county, murder, inland empire news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 33 min ago
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84 14 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 31 min ago