Inland Empire News
Police officer finds burglar at his Rancho Cucamonga home
RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. (KABC) -- An off-duty officer arrived at his Rancho Cucamonga home Monday night only to find a burglary suspect.
The incident happened on the 5500 block of Crestline Place. According to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, the West Covina officer chased after the suspect on foot, but the suspect drove away and hit the officer with his vehicle, prompting him to open fire.
The officer's bullet struck the side of a home across the street, but the suspect was not hit as he drove off.
Meanwhile, authorities were already en route because the suspect had set off a burglary alarm at the house. The officer was treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Neighbor Cati Van Hofwegen was able to get a good look at the suspect's car and gave police a vehicle description. Sheriff's investigators found the car in Fontana near Foothill Boulevard and Tokay Avenue, and they later arrested 30-year-old Leopoldo Rojano Pizarro of San Bernardino, the person they believe was behind the wheel.
burglary, officer-involved shooting, inland empire news, melissa macbride
- 4.4-magnitude earthquake strikes LA area 5 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Video: Stranded man rescued from Castaic crash
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians