Inland Empire News
Gun-wielding suspect shot in Fontana traffic stop
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A Fontana Police officer shot and wounded a gun-wielding suspect during a traffic stop Monday night.
The officer on routine patrol pulled a vehicle over for a traffic violation near Ceres and Cypress avenues in Fontana about 10:40 p.m.
Approaching the vehicle, the officer saw the passenger in the front seat was holding a handgun, according to police.
The suspect then allegedly pointed the gun at the officer. The officer fired his duty weapon several times, striking the suspect, according to police. The officer was not injured.
Two other people were in the vehicle, neither of whom was injured. Police said a handgun was recovered at the scene.
The wounded suspect, identified as 35-year-old Fontana resident Enrique Mendez, was hospitalized under arrest. He was awaiting booking for attempted murder of a police officer.
Fontana Police said another traffic incident involving a gun may be related to the Ceres/Cypress intersection shooting.
Fontana officers responded to a possible traffic collision near Mission and Catawba avenues, in the same general area as the first incident. They discovered the driver, a 44-year-old Victorville resident, was suffering from at least one gunshot wound. He was hospitalized in unknown condition.
Fontana Police said the two incidents appeared to be related. The investigation remained ongoing Tuesday.
As a matter of Fontana Police Department policy, the officer involved shooting is being investigated by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.
It was determined that Enrique Mendez had recently been released as a part of California's realignment plan under AB109, according to police.
arrest, shooting, officer-involved shooting, inland empire news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 45 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust 52 min ago
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 12 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere