Inland Empire News
Project to improve interchange of 15-215 freeways approved
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- The interchange of the 15 and 215 freeways near Devore is one of the busiest in Southern California with goods headed to and from the ports Los Angeles and Long Beach.
Much to the relief of those who frequent the bottleneck that is that interchange, there are big changes in the works. The San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday approved a "freeway agreement" with Caltrans allowing a $324 million interchange improvement project to move forward.
"The intent of the project is to ease traffic through that interchange and reduce congestion on I-15 and I-215," said Shelli Lombardo, a Caltrans spokeswoman.
That will happen by adding one lane to the northbound and southbound I-15, which will expand the freeway from three to four continuous lanes of traffic.
The project is also expected to improve safety with a truck bypass lane eliminating the need for slower moving trucks to weave through faster moving vehicles.
The freeway project is already generating excitement for some frequent weekend road trip warriors.
"It is going to be awesome, I travel to Vegas every now and then and the drive there is not good at all. I get bumper to bumper all the time so when they widen it up, I'll get there faster," said Hasib Azhand of San Bernardino.
But it will be a while before that can happen. The project is expected to take four years to complete. That means traffic delays may get worse before they can get better.
road construction, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide 9 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge 35 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed 29 min ago
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker