Inland Empire News
San Bernardino to release spending plan
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- The city of San Bernardino will release more details on Wednesday about a plan to emerge from bankruptcy.
The city is $45 million in the red and filed for bankruptcy protection earlier this month.
City leaders are expected to present a spending plan during the City Council meeting and lay out a proposal for some organizational restructuring that includes cutting 30 percent from its operations. The cuts will not only mean a loss of jobs but also possible reductions in some services. Some of those details could come out in closed session since they are part of the bankruptcy proceedings.
Councilman Rikke van Johnson said the city is losing $125,000 per day without a plan in place.
"We're at the point where we don't have a choice," he said. "We have to make some quick calculations and those can only come through cuts."
Tim Prince, a longtime resident and attorney, is leading an effort to recall the city's mayor, the city attorney and council members.
"The city has failed to do its job for the taxpayers and that means all public officials should be held accountable," Prince said. "The city's budget is central to its operations and we've had a problem of not being able to pass a budget that's balanced that makes sense. And so now at the 11th hour to rush in a budget that nobody's had a chance to read, as a taxpayer, I resent that."
san bernardino county, budget, inland empire news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery 45 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
35 min ago