Inland Empire News
Riverside mom, kids stabbed to death; suspect shot
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect in the stabbing of a woman and two children in Riverside was shot and wounded by police in Corona on Thursday morning.
Authorities responded to the 10400 block of Granger Court and found three people with multiple stab wounds shortly after 7 a.m. The victims were rushed to a local hospital, where they were pronounced dead.
Police believe two of the victims were the suspect's children, a 1-year-old girl and a 4-year-old boy, and the other victim was a 25-year-old woman who was in a relationship with the suspect.
According to investigators, the owners of the home had nothing to do with the incident. They rented the house out to several people, and the 911 call came in from one of the other people living in the house.
A description of the suspect and vehicle was sent out to police agencies in the area. A short time later, someone reported seeing a man dropping off a car and leaving in a suspicious manner on the transition road between the 15 and 91 freeways in Corona. The caller described the man as being covered in blood and holding a knife in his hand.
Officers responded and after a short foot pursuit, the suspect was shot on the railroad tracks at about 8:30 a.m. The suspect's knife was recovered at the scene.
The suspect is in stable condition at Riverside Community Hospital. No one else was injured in the officer-involved shooting.
The transition road was closed for police investigation, causing heavy backups on the 91 and 15 freeways during the morning commute.
Neighbors say there had been a lot of problems between the suspect and his former girlfriend. Police say the woman had filed for a restraining order against the suspect, but it was unknown if those papers had ever been served.
"That's just horrible, I work with kids and I would never imagine hurting any," said neighbor Misty Foster, as she wiped away tears.
Foster said she believes the suspect had been at the house, pestering the family all weekend.
riverside county, homicide investigation, pursuit, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 24 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal 1 min ago
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Missing flight's last words were routine 49 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings 45 min ago
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup 9 min ago
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions 8 min ago
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand 28 min ago
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons