Inland Empire News
Sergeant's remains back with California family after 60+ years
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Army Master Sgt. Clifford Ryan was killed in action decades ago. The decorated sergeant received a hero's welcome on Thursday.
Ryan was killed in the Korean War Nov. 1, 1950 during an engagement with Chinese forces while guarding a bridge near Unsan, North Korea. He was 28. His body was recovered at the time, and Ryan was listed as missing in action up until 2011, when his remains were identified through DNA testing. His remains turned up 12 years ago during a North Korean gold-mining project.
Ryan's remains were flown to Los Angeles International Airport Thursday morning and driven to Wiefel Mortuary in Palm Springs, with a military escort.
Ryan, whose son, Terry Ryan, 65, lives in Cathedral City, will be buried at Riverside National Cemetery on Saturday.
Thursday morning, Terry Ryan and his son Corie Ryan were waiting for the sergeant's remains on the tarmac.
"It's amazing. He's home. I'm just speechless, to be honest with you. I mean, you hear about stuff like that, but to be a part of it now, it's amazing," said Corie Ryan. "It's just a day where you're proud to be American."
The Sergeant, a native of Muscatine, Iowa, served in the Army for 12 years. He fought in World War II and the Korean War and won several medals, including the Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart.
u.s. troops, riverside county, inland empire news, q mccray
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 8 min ago
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours 19 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 59 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 15 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 11 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 12 min ago
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq 31 min ago
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks