Inland Empire News
Wounded Marine gets custom home in Temecula to fit needs
TEMECULA, Calif. (KABC) -- Marine Cpl. Juan Dominguez, 28, lost both legs and his right arm when a roadside bomb exploded in Afghanistan in 2010.
On Tuesday, the anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, several organizations stepped forward to pay for his new home in Temecula. But the home he got the keys to wasn't just any home. It was a "smart home," equipped with countless features designed to make life a little easier.
There's an elevator to get to the second floor, a toilet lid that's activated by motion sensors and cabinetry that descends when needed. Almost everything can be controlled by his iPad.
"All the lighting, as well as the shades, they automatically lower, raise, and they even form slats just to let in a little bit of light," said Danielle Tocco, Director of Communications for Standard Pacific Homes.
All of the features cost about $50,000, but they were donated - along with the home itself - to the Dominguez family.
"The chance to be able to go everywhere inside my house, upstairs, down stairs, every bathroom, every room, it's awesome because it doesn't feel like a prison like my house does currently. It feels like I have the freedom to run around the house," Dominguez said.
Actor Gary Sinise, who was active in making sure this wounded warrior got a tribute he deserves, was among many on hand for the unveiling.
u.s. military, charity, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants