Inland Empire News
Fontana police impersonator arrested after threatening woman at gunpoint
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 27-year-old man was arrested after allegedly impersonating a police officer and threatening a woman at gunpoint in Fontana last Friday.
Police say Ivan Hernandez knocked on the door of a home on the 9500 block of Sycamore Drive around 12:15 a.m. When a female resident opened the door, he allegedly told her he was with the Sheriff's department.
"He was standing at the door in what appeared to be a bulletproof vest, with a walkie-talkie, and then had what she thought was a black handgun," said Fontana Police Sgt. Bob Morris.
Police say the woman was suspicious of the suspect's claims and kept her security gate closed. She then told him she was going to call the police department to check. Her questioning angered the suspect.
"He became very upset with her, told her to quit messing with him, and that he would be back, and at the same time actually pulled the handgun out and pointed it at her through the security door," said Morris.
Police say he then took off in a Ford Crown Victoria, similar to a police car, which is how officers spotted him about an hour later and made the arrest.
So far, there's been only one complaint made about Hernandez to the Fontana Police Department, but they say it's possible there are other victims.
"There's really no way of telling, it very well possibly could have happened in other areas or nearby that we just haven't been notified about," said Morris.
Anyone with information regarding the suspect is urged to call the Fontana police at (909) 350-7700.
san bernardino county, arrest, identity theft, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Mandela honored by world, South Africans
- South El Monte hospital fire triggers evacs
- Blustering winds, low temps hitting Southland 25 min ago
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested
- 50-acre brush fire erupts near Moorpark 45 min ago
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial
- Hesperia house fire started in gas fireplace 28 min ago
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Mary Barra becomes 1st female CEO of GM 27 min ago
- abcnews: Senate extends ban on plastic guns
- How healthy is flavoring up your water?
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- 'Saving Mr. Banks' tells 'Poppins' back story
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke