Inland Empire News
IE hit-run: Homicide unit probes woman's death
WINCHESTER, RIVERSIDE COUNTY (KABC) -- Law enforcement announced in a statement Thursday that a homicide unit had taken over the investigation of a 68-year-old woman's death near French Valley.
Earlier, the California Highway Patrol had been leading the investigation as a possible hit and run after a coroner's report concluded Wanda McGlover suffered injuries consistent with being struck by a car -- findings the victim's children disagreed with.
"This was not a hit and run, she was approached and brutally attacked and murdered. They dragged her from one side of the street to the next and wanted her to die in the ditch," said McGlover's daughter, who asked not to be identified.
McGlover's daughter, who lives in Georgia, says her mother called her to talk while out on a morning walk. Their conversation came to a sudden and frightening end 20 minutes later.
"She said excuse me, they grabbed her phone, I heard them grab her phone and she screamed out my name and then they hung up the phone," McGlover's daughter said.
She immediately called 911, but Georgia operators couldn't connect her to California's 911 dispatch center. So she contacted her sister and her brother who lives with their mother. The two found McGlover barely breathing and badly bleeding in a ditch.
The victim's children say whoever attacked their mother may still have something belonging to her.
"They took her cellphone, we cannot find her cell phone," said the daughter. "There are other things that we cannot find and so we don't know why she was targeted."
Anyone with information should contact the Riverside County Sheriff's Homicide Unit at (951) 955-2777. In particular, they are looking for anyone who was in the area last Friday around 8 a.m.
homicide investigation, hit and run, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk 57 min ago
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD 56 min ago
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate