Inland Empire News
Jury picks death penalty for 'Old Fire' arson convict
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A jury recommended the death penalty Friday for the man who started the massive 'Old Fire' nearly 10 years ago that killed five people. Rickie Lee Fowler, 31, was convicted of murdering five people who died of heart attacks during that fire.
The 2003 "Old Fire" burned more than 90,000 acres, destroyed more than 1,000 structures and resulted in the deaths of five people who died from heart attacks and other health problems during the fire and in the days and weeks that followed.
Already convicted of arson and murder, Fowler was back in court Friday to learn the jury's decision as to whether he should serve life in prison or be put to death.
Victims had to wait nearly 10 years for justice, but it took the jury about three weeks to decide whether Fowler should be put to death.
Jurors declined to talk with media Friday, but they did speak to the deputy district attorney.
"They said they wanted to go thoroughly through the evidence, and they were not under any compulsion to rush to judgment, they wanted to make sure that they were doing the right thing, and they wanted to be able to live with the decision for the rest of their lives," said San Bernardino County Deputy District Attorney Robert Bulloch.
But the jury recommendation may not matter at all if California voters decide to overturn the death penalty in November by adopting Proposition 34. Because of the implications of Prop. 34, the judge will wait until after the election to officially sentence Fowler.
The defense plans to file a motion for retrial.
san bernardino county, wildfire, court case, murder, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 38 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 20 min ago
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 8 min ago
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour