Inland Empire News
Road rage sparked Chino Hills Shoppes shooting
CHINO HILLS, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities say road rage sparked the shooting at a Chino Hills shopping mall that left two people wounded.
Officers responded to calls of shots fired at The Shoppes on Grand Avenue at 7:52 p.m. Thursday. They found two men who had been shot. Both were taken to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center. Several other people were detained at the scene.
After further investigation, police found that a road-rage incident had occurred between an off-duty Huntington Park police officer and another vehicle on the southbound 71 Freeway. Both drivers exited the freeway and stopped at the parking lot at The Shoppes.
As the off-duty officer got out of his vehicle, he saw four men exiting the other vehicle. He believed two of the men had weapons.
The officer fired several shots from his weapon, striking two of the men. The injured men ran a short distance and collapsed, while the other two men were taken into custody nearby.
Police say an 8-inch knife and a can of pepper spray were recovered at the scene.
Authorities say the investigation is ongoing. It was unclear if any charges would be filed.
Anyone with information is urged to call the We-Tip hotline at (800)-78-CRIME.
shooting, inland empire news
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 29 min ago
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 4 min ago
- OTRC: Stacy Keibler weds boyfriend Jared Pobre
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
16 min ago