Inland Empire News
Upland teen killed in hit-and-run; driver arrested
UPLAND, Calif. (KABC) -- A 13-year-old boy was killed in a hit-and-run accident in Upland. Police say the driver who left the scene has been arrested.
Grieving family gathered and watched as crime scene investigators pulled the body of Joshua Roberson from the wreckage of his mother's mangled car.
The incident happened around 11 p.m. Monday at Campus Avenue and Arrow Highway. The teen and his mother were inside a red Plymouth Neon when a white Dodge Ram T-boned the car. The collision was so violent that the truck slammed into a light pole, and the Neon flew into a house, causing a carport to collapse on top of the vehicle. Neighbor Sam Garcia and his neighbor, who happens to be a nurse, were the first to help.
"The mom wasn't speaking very well, but she motioned somebody in the passenger seat, so Michelle felt around and checked the pulse of the youngster, and she said it was really low," Garcia said.
But there was nothing they could do. The eighth-grade student at Upland Junior High School was declared dead at the scene. His mother was rushed to a local hospital. Authorities say she is expected to make a full recovery.
The suspect, identified as 21-year-old Kyle Bahensky of Ontario, fled the scene, but he was taken into custody a few hours later at his home three miles away in Ontario.
"In our investigation we determined who he was, and then we went to his house, where we caught him. He did not give himself up," said Lt. Cliff Mathews of the Upland Police Department.
Bahensky is facing a felony hit-and-run charge. He was hospitalized for minor injuries from the crash, according to officials. He is being held on $50,000 bail.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation. Authorities said both drivers will be tested for drugs and alcohol.
hit and run, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- LAPD cop car crash: 1 officer dead, 1 injured 52 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested 6 min ago
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood
- Baldwin Hills natural gas leak: Repairs done
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege 31 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Pistorius told guard 'everything is fine'
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)