Inland Empire News
Suicidal man dies in Riverside police standoff
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Riverside police officers responded to a call of a suicidal man with a gun at a residence on the 3700 block of Myers Street at 10:47 p.m. Sunday.
Officers found a man inside the apartment armed with a handgun.
Police secured the apartment and tried to make verbal contact with the 23-year-old male through a partially opened front door.
As police tried to communicate with the subject, the man appeared pointing a black-semi automatic handgun and a large kitchen knife at officers and shooting ensued, according to the Riverside Police Department.
Medical aid was immediately summoned. However, the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
His identity is being withheld pending notification of kin.
Detectives from the Homicide Unit are conducting an investigation into the incident, as is standard procedure with all officer-involved shootings.
Anyone with information regarding this case is urged to contact Detective Rick Cobb at (951) 353-7135 or Detective Rick Wheeler at (951) 353-7134.
riverside county, homicide investigation, officer-involved shooting, shooting, standoff, inland empire news
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Rain, winds move into Southern California
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- abcnews: Renewed Gacy probe reunites family
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Phil Robertson suspended from 'Duck Dynasty'
- Aulani Resort is perfect holiday getaway
52 min ago