Inland Empire News
CHP officer stabbed during Riverside confrontation
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A California Highway Patrol officer is recovering after he was stabbed multiple times by a man who reportedly tried to jump onto a Riverside freeway.
The officer responded to a call of a man climbing the fence of the freeway overpass on La Sierra Avenue at State Route 91 around 9:51 p.m.
At the scene, the officer was able to grab the suspect's legs to keep him from jumping, but a violent struggle ensued. The suspect, identified as 45-year-old Javier Hernandez Rios, pulled out a knife and stabbed the officer in the back, arms and face, including his eye.
During the assault, an off-duty Riverside police officer and an off-duty San Bernardino County Sheriff's sergeant who were driving by stopped to help. Rios also swung the knife at them.
The CHP officer held on to Rios' legs and finally subdued him with help from a second CHP officer who arrived.
The injured CHP officer and the suspect were treated at the scene and transported to a local hospital. Rios suffered minor injuries during the assault. The CHP officer was transferred to a hospital in San Bernardino County to receive specialized treatment for his eye injury.
Rios is now in custody and is facing charges of attempted murder of a peace officer, mayhem, and assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer.
Anyone with any information regarding this case is urged to contact Det. Jim Brandt at (951) 353-7137 or Det. Mike Medici at (951) 353-7104.
riverside county, arrest, stabbing, inland empire news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 23 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 45 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 6 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 50 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break