Inland Empire News
CHP officer stabbed during Riverside confrontation
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- A California Highway Patrol officer is recovering after he was stabbed multiple times by a man who reportedly tried to jump onto a Riverside freeway.
The officer responded to a call of a man climbing the fence of the freeway overpass on La Sierra Avenue at State Route 91 around 9:51 p.m.
At the scene, the officer was able to grab the suspect's legs to keep him from jumping, but a violent struggle ensued. The suspect, identified as 45-year-old Javier Hernandez Rios, pulled out a knife and stabbed the officer in the back, arms and face, including his eye.
During the assault, an off-duty Riverside police officer and an off-duty San Bernardino County Sheriff's sergeant who were driving by stopped to help. Rios also swung the knife at them.
The CHP officer held on to Rios' legs and finally subdued him with help from a second CHP officer who arrived.
The injured CHP officer and the suspect were treated at the scene and transported to a local hospital. Rios suffered minor injuries during the assault. The CHP officer was transferred to a hospital in San Bernardino County to receive specialized treatment for his eye injury.
Rios is now in custody and is facing charges of attempted murder of a peace officer, mayhem, and assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer.
Anyone with any information regarding this case is urged to contact Det. Jim Brandt at (951) 353-7137 or Det. Mike Medici at (951) 353-7104.
riverside county, arrest, stabbing, inland empire news
- London attack victim was a serving soldier
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte 59 min ago
- Local police officer accused of child molest 6 min ago
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- Model murder trial: Case in hands of jury
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days 20 min ago
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Teen birth rate: Nearly all states see drop
- Arias jury stuck but must keep deliberating
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised