Inland Empire News
Murrieta soldier killed in Afghanistan attack
MURRIETA, Calif. (KABC) -- A U.S. soldier from Murrieta, Calif. was reported killed in combat in Afghanistan when his unit came under attack Thursday.
The U.S. Department of Defense announced Sgt. Clinton K. Ruiz, 22, died of wounds from small arms fire while on patrol in Khas Uruzgan, Oruzgan Province.
Ruiz was assigned to an army unit in Fort Bragg, N.C., the 9th Military Information Support Battalion (Airborne) and 8th Military Information Support Group (Airborne).
Another American soldier, identified as 31-year-old Staff Sgt. Kashif M. Memon of Houston, Texas, was also killed in the attack.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
department of defense, u.s. military, u.s. troops, afghanistan war, riverside county, inland empire news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk 56 min ago
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD 55 min ago
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate