Inland Empire News
Murrieta soldier killed in Afghanistan attack
MURRIETA, Calif. (KABC) -- A U.S. soldier from Murrieta, Calif. was reported killed in combat in Afghanistan when his unit came under attack Thursday.
The U.S. Department of Defense announced Sgt. Clinton K. Ruiz, 22, died of wounds from small arms fire while on patrol in Khas Uruzgan, Oruzgan Province.
Ruiz was assigned to an army unit in Fort Bragg, N.C., the 9th Military Information Support Battalion (Airborne) and 8th Military Information Support Group (Airborne).
Another American soldier, identified as 31-year-old Staff Sgt. Kashif M. Memon of Houston, Texas, was also killed in the attack.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
department of defense, u.s. military, u.s. troops, afghanistan war, riverside county, inland empire news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 49 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Amber Alert issued for Long Beach boy 11 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet 10 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K 19 min ago
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years 24 min ago
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...