Inland Empire News
Woman's body found at Rialto apartment fire
RIALTO, Calif. (KABC) -- Police say a woman found dead Saturday at an apartment fire in Rialto may have been murdered before the start of the blaze.
Firefighters arrived on scene at about 2:20 a.m. in the 600 block of South Riverside Avenue to find heavy fire and smoke billowing from a downstairs apartment. One resident, a 74-year-old woman, was removed from the apartment before firefighters arrived. She was declared dead at the scene, but authorities determined that the woman had been killed before the start of the fire.
"Preliminary investigation reveals that the female was suffering from upper body trauma, so this investigation is now a homicide investigation, along with an arson investigation," said Rialto Police Capt. Randy D'Anda.
Detectives said a motive for the apparent murder was not known, but they were looking into the possibility that it may have been a robbery, and that the building was set on fire to cover up the crime.
Neighbors identified the woman as the manager of the apartment complex.
Authorities said the fire began in one apartment and spread to a second apartment, which sustained some damage as well. About 40 firefighters worked to knock down the fire in about 20 minutes.
The Red Cross was called in to help about 90 displaced residents. The city of Rialto placed some residents in the Johnson Community Center at 214 N. Palm Avenue. It was unclear when people would be allowed to return to their homes.
The cause of the fire was under investigation by the Rialto Fire Department and arson investigators.
Anyone with information was urged to call Rialto police at (909) 421-7227.
homicide investigation, fire, body found, san bernardino county, inland empire news, leanne suter
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 7 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain 25 min ago
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage 45 min ago
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
5 min ago