Inland Empire News
Pickax-wielding man shot by Fontana police officer
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A pickax-wielding man was shot four times by a Fontana police officer at the end of a pursuit early Tuesday morning.
The Fontana officer was called to the scene of domestic disturbance some time before 12:35 a.m. on the 6100 block of Catawba Avenue. The suspect in the call had fled the scene in a semi-tractor and the officer was searching the area. He located the vehicle and attempted to stop it near Citrus Ave. and Walnut St.
The suspect failed to comply and led the officer on a pursuit, driving back to the scene of the domestic violence call. Police say the suspect, 38-year-old Norwalk resident Esteban Rodriguez, ran toward the house. As the officer tried to make contact with Rodriguez, Rodriguez grabbed a large pickax and raised it to strike the officer.
The officer, an eight-year veteran of the Fontana Police Dept., in fear for his life, fired his duty weapon multiple times, striking Rodriguez four times. The officer was not injured.
Rodriguez was hospitalized in unknown condition. He was arrested and held on charges of domestic violence and attempted murder of a police officer.
The officer-involved shooting is being investigated by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Dept. as a matter of Fontana Police Dept. policy.
shooting, officer-involved shooting, inland empire news
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 30 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed 23 min ago
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect 38 min ago
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- Griffith Park mountain lion exposed to poison
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12 9 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)
- 'The Other Woman' gets last laugh in theaters
6 min ago