Inland Empire News
Pickax-wielding man shot by Fontana police officer
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A pickax-wielding man was shot four times by a Fontana police officer at the end of a pursuit early Tuesday morning.
The Fontana officer was called to the scene of domestic disturbance some time before 12:35 a.m. on the 6100 block of Catawba Avenue. The suspect in the call had fled the scene in a semi-tractor and the officer was searching the area. He located the vehicle and attempted to stop it near Citrus Ave. and Walnut St.
The suspect failed to comply and led the officer on a pursuit, driving back to the scene of the domestic violence call. Police say the suspect, 38-year-old Norwalk resident Esteban Rodriguez, ran toward the house. As the officer tried to make contact with Rodriguez, Rodriguez grabbed a large pickax and raised it to strike the officer.
The officer, an eight-year veteran of the Fontana Police Dept., in fear for his life, fired his duty weapon multiple times, striking Rodriguez four times. The officer was not injured.
Rodriguez was hospitalized in unknown condition. He was arrested and held on charges of domestic violence and attempted murder of a police officer.
The officer-involved shooting is being investigated by the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Dept. as a matter of Fontana Police Dept. policy.
shooting, officer-involved shooting, inland empire news
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Blind, autistic piano prodigy inspires others 57 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- Klinsmann to remain as US coach through 2018
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child 47 min ago
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son