Inland Empire News
'Desperate Bandit' suspect arrested after Indio bank robbery
INDIO, Calif. (KABC) -- A Chino Hills man has been arrested in connection with a series of bank robberies tied to the "Desperate Bandit."
The bandit was linked to at least seven bank robberies in the past three months spanning the Inland Empire and Orange County. Police took a man into custody on Friday, and investigators believe him to be the "Desperate Bandit."
Police responded to a robbery at the First Bank on the 81900 block of Avenue 42 in Indio at about 11:37 a.m.
Investigators say the suspect handed a teller a note stating he had a gun and wanted money. The teller complied, and the suspect took off with an undisclosed amount of money.
Officers tracked down the suspect on the 10 Freeway near the Monroe Street Bridge. At the time of the arrest, evidence linked to the First Bank robbery was found in the suspect's car.
Investigators identified the suspect as 47-year-old Michael Patrick Downing of Chino Hills.
Robberies linked to the "Desperate Bandit" include banks in Chino, Fullerton, Anaheim, Tustin, Corona, Placentia and La Habra from August through October.
Authorities began using the nickname "Desperate Bandit" after the suspect committed multiple robberies wearing different disguises such as wigs, mustaches and eyeglasses.
robbery, bank robbery, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors
- Unsolved murder mystery revealed in doc
9 min ago