Inland Empire News
'Desperate Bandit' suspect arrested after Indio bank robbery
INDIO, Calif. (KABC) -- A Chino Hills man has been arrested in connection with a series of bank robberies tied to the "Desperate Bandit."
The bandit was linked to at least seven bank robberies in the past three months spanning the Inland Empire and Orange County. Police took a man into custody on Friday, and investigators believe him to be the "Desperate Bandit."
Police responded to a robbery at the First Bank on the 81900 block of Avenue 42 in Indio at about 11:37 a.m.
Investigators say the suspect handed a teller a note stating he had a gun and wanted money. The teller complied, and the suspect took off with an undisclosed amount of money.
Officers tracked down the suspect on the 10 Freeway near the Monroe Street Bridge. At the time of the arrest, evidence linked to the First Bank robbery was found in the suspect's car.
Investigators identified the suspect as 47-year-old Michael Patrick Downing of Chino Hills.
Robberies linked to the "Desperate Bandit" include banks in Chino, Fullerton, Anaheim, Tustin, Corona, Placentia and La Habra from August through October.
Authorities began using the nickname "Desperate Bandit" after the suspect committed multiple robberies wearing different disguises such as wigs, mustaches and eyeglasses.
robbery, bank robbery, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10