Inland Empire News
Perris coach accused of molesting young girl
PERRIS, Calif. (KABC) -- A volunteer basketball coach at Perris High School has been charged with dozens of felony sex counts for allegedly molesting a girl under 16.
School district officials say 49-year-old Dominic Leon Evans was an assistant girls basketball coach at Perris High School, hired for that position on Oct. 2. But just three weeks later, a 15-year-old at the school told her parents and a school counselor she was sexually assaulted by Evans.
"We removed him that day and have been working cooperatively with law enforcement," said district spokesman Leslie Ventuleth. "It's always a shock. It's never something that you get used to when it comes to kids."
According to authorities, she was assaulted over a period of several months, but none of the incidents took place on campus.
Ventuleth says Evans had worked for the district off and on since 1998 as a substitute employee with custodial services and campus security and as a volunteer in the athletic department. She said Evans, a longtime resident of Perris, is among many volunteers who work at the three high schools in Perris and undergo thorough background checks like full-time teachers and staff.
Though authorities arrested Evans at his home on Nov. 13, parents at the school were notified on Wednesday of the incident.
Evans was booked into the Robert Presley Detention Center on $50,000 bail. He has already entered a plea of not guilty. He is expected back in court on Thursday.
If you have any additional information that could help investigators with this case, you're urged to contact the Perris Police Department at (951) 210-1000.
riverside county, school, sex crimes, arrest, inland empire news, jovana lara
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 11 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon 4 min ago
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend 37 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M 59 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- New technology monitors pet fitness
22 min ago