Inland Empire News
Moreno Valley student arrested for allegedly threatening to shoot teacher
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A Moreno Valley high school student was arrested Monday for allegedly threatening to shoot a teacher.
Riverside County sheriff's investigators said 18-year-old Fernando Hernandez, a student at Canyon Springs High School, left the threatening note for the teacher in a place she would find it. She alerted authorities upon discovering it.
Deputies search the teen's home and found a rifle and ammunition. Investigators said the rifle was legally purchased and secured with a trigger lock. Hernandez was arrested on charges of making terrorist threats.
The threat comes in the wake of a shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., which left 20 children and 6 adults dead.
Many students and parents say they were not notified by the school about the incident, and instead found out through social media.
"I actually found out on Facebook," said student Hanah Martin. "That's the reason I found out, I didn't know."
The school district said a phone message was sent out to all parents notifying them about the incident, and a letter would be sent home with students Tuesday.
Students said they are left feeling unnerved, and they just want all the threats and shootings to stop.
"I know school is supposed to be a safe environment, but I'm kind of scared now," said student Nathan Ritchie.
There have been other threats since last Friday's shooting. On Sunday, 24-year-old Kyle Bangayan was arrested after police said he posted threats on Facebook about killing elementary school students. Authorities found several guns and ammunition at his apartment. But the district attorney's office said it will not file charges because there was no specific threat against a school or a person.
There were also two other school threats, one in Diamond Bar and one in San Dimas. In both incidents, no criminal intent was found and no charges were filed.
riverside county, arrest, inland empire news, darsha philips
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- Benjamin Netanyahu discusses Iran at LA event
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014' 5 min ago
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments 16 min ago
- San Clemente HS lockdown lifted after threat
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Bitcoin exchange CEO's death ruled 'unnatural'
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
33 min ago