Inland Empire News
2 men arrested for arson and assaulting a firefighter in Fontana
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Two 18-year-old men were arrested for suspected arson after assaulting a firefighter who attempted to detain them.
Fire personnel responded to the scene of a fire in a drainage ditch near the area of Duncan Canyon and Roadrunner roads in Fontana around 2:25 p.m. on Jan. 23, 2013.
On scene, witnesses pointed out two men suspiciously leaving the area of the fire. The men were suspected of possibly starting the fire.
A firefighter attempted to detain Richard Gonzalez and Travis Baker, both 18-year-old residents of Fontana, while waiting for responding officers.
Gonzalez attempted to walk away from the firefighter and purposely struck him with his shoulder. The firefighter attempted to keep Gonzalez at the location when Baker approached the officer from the opposite side. Both men began pushing the firefighter who then called out for assistance. The men were detained until officers arrived.
Following the investigation, the men were arrested for arson and battery on a firefighter and booked at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga.
The San Bernardino County Fire Department Arson Investigations Unit is handling the investigation.
arson, arrest, fire, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions 9 min ago
- North Korea purges Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Holiday shipping deadlines quickly approaching
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student
- Riot police storm opposition offices in Ukraine 4 min ago
- American Airlines, US Airways merger complete 39 min ago
- Torre, La Russa, Cox elected to Hall of Fame
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
17 min ago