Inland Empire News
Tour bus crash: 8 dead, 38 injured in collision on State Route 38
YUCAIPA, Calif. (KABC) -- Eight people were killed and 38 others were injured in a tour bus crash on State Route 38 near Yucaipa on Sunday.
The bus and two other vehicles collided around 6:30 p.m. on the mountain highway north of Yucaipa and below Forest Falls, according to the San Bernardino County Fire Department.
Authorities said everyone involved in the crash sustained some kind of injury. At least 17 people were critically hurt. The injuries of those transported to hospitals ranged from life-threatening to minor.
"It's horrific, it is tragic, it is carnage," said Terri Kasinga of Caltrans. "It is so bad up there it's hard to understand what really happened."
Victims were transported to multiple area hospitals. At least three adults and two children were taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center and at least four other victims were sent to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center. Redlands Community Hospital took in two patients and two others were expected.
Investigators said there were 38 passengers and a driver in the bus, which was apparently based out of Tijuana. It was heading back from the Big Bear area. The Mexican consulate was at the scene of the crash.
Investigators said the bus rear-ended a sedan, flipped over and hit a pickup truck that was pulling a trailer. The cause of the accident was unclear, but officials said the bus driver reported having brake problems as it came down the mountain.
"Right now, we're talking to the witnesses, we're talking to the parties involved," said Officer Mario Lopez of the California Highway Patrol. "There's a possibility of mechanical issues with the bus."
The northbound SR 38 was closed while crews worked at the scene.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
car crash, san bernardino county, inland empire news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 8 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash 43 min ago
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- 'Mary Poppins' among 25 films to be preserved
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- 'Functional fitness' takes dysfunctional turn
19 min ago