Inland Empire News
Tour bus crash: Death toll increases to 8; 911 calls released
LOMA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- The death toll from last weekend's tour bus crash outside of Yucaipa has risen to eight, authorities confirmed Wednesday.
A coroner's official said 72-year-old Fred Bailey Richardson of San Bernardino died Wednesday morning at Loma Linda University Medical Center. Richardson was driving a landscaping service truck that was struck by the out-of-control bus Sunday night.
The other seven fatalities were people who died at the scene.
"Everyone in this community is going to miss Fred ever so much," said Jan Fagerstedt, Richardson's older sister. "It's hard to go through something like that, but I just miss my brother so."
Investigators are focusing on the brakes to help determine the exact cause of the accident. The National Transportation Safety Board was in the San Diego-area on Tuesday, interviewing the bus company owner and employees. Investigators are also looking at road conditions and possible driver error or fatigue that could have played a role in the crash. The investigation could take months to complete.
The driver reportedly told investigators he had brake problems as the bus, carrying Tijuana vacationers, headed down Highway 38 from Big Bear.
The bus hit a sedan and flipped before slamming into the oncoming pickup truck hauling a trailer. Eleven of the injured remain hospitalized.
Newly released 911 recordings shed light on what those aboard the bus experienced as the tour bus careened out of control as it made its way down the mountain.
California Highway Patrol investigators ask anyone who witnessed the accident and may have any information to give them a call at (909) 806-2400.
car crash, san bernardino county, mexico, inland empire news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 57 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Fatal South LA fire determined suspicious
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Tips for adjusting to daylight-saving time 9 min ago
- Former NFL player Sharper to stay in jail
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months