Inland Empire News
Tour bus crash: Death toll increases to 8; 911 calls released
LOMA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- The death toll from last weekend's tour bus crash outside of Yucaipa has risen to eight, authorities confirmed Wednesday.
A coroner's official said 72-year-old Fred Bailey Richardson of San Bernardino died Wednesday morning at Loma Linda University Medical Center. Richardson was driving a landscaping service truck that was struck by the out-of-control bus Sunday night.
The other seven fatalities were people who died at the scene.
"Everyone in this community is going to miss Fred ever so much," said Jan Fagerstedt, Richardson's older sister. "It's hard to go through something like that, but I just miss my brother so."
Investigators are focusing on the brakes to help determine the exact cause of the accident. The National Transportation Safety Board was in the San Diego-area on Tuesday, interviewing the bus company owner and employees. Investigators are also looking at road conditions and possible driver error or fatigue that could have played a role in the crash. The investigation could take months to complete.
The driver reportedly told investigators he had brake problems as the bus, carrying Tijuana vacationers, headed down Highway 38 from Big Bear.
The bus hit a sedan and flipped before slamming into the oncoming pickup truck hauling a trailer. Eleven of the injured remain hospitalized.
Newly released 911 recordings shed light on what those aboard the bus experienced as the tour bus careened out of control as it made its way down the mountain.
California Highway Patrol investigators ask anyone who witnessed the accident and may have any information to give them a call at (909) 806-2400.
car crash, san bernardino county, mexico, inland empire news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang 52 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting 36 min ago
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
45 min ago