Inland Empire News
Moreno Valley School board member takes stand in pimping, rape trial
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A Moreno Valley school board member accused of rape and running a prostitution business from his home took the witness stand Wednesday to deny the charges.
Mike Rios broke down in tears after admitting he lied to investigators to protect his wife from knowing about a car accident involving him and two women. He said he feared media reports about the accident would reveal he was cheating on her.
Rios explained he started a side stripping business to make up for the income lost after his wife, who was a stripper, was by jailed by INS. He went on to say he advertised for a live-in stripper on Craiglist to help pay the mortgage and bills.
"You wanted a stripper to live in your house with a 17 year old and 12 year old living there?" the prosecution asked him.
"Yeah, what's wrong with that?" Rios responded.
Investigators believe Rios was actually running a prostitution business from his home. He allegedly recruited women and customers through online ads.
Rios denied the allegations, saying his business was strictly stripping and massage. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
He claims he did have consensual sex with one of two of the women he is accused of raping.
The 42-year-old, who is free on $500,000 bail and remains a school board member, faces more than 50 years behind bars if convicted of 35 felony counts, including forcible rape, pimping, pandering and insurance fraud.
education, arrest, murder, riverside county, sex crimes, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs 45 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal 22 min ago
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)