Inland Empire News
Cabin owner's son discusses Dorner standoff
PALMDALE, Calif. (KABC) -- The son of the owners of the burned down cabin where fugitive murder suspect Christopher Dorner was allegedly barricaded spoke out Wednesday.
For more than 80 years the 7 Oaks Mountain Cabins have been a quiet place for vacationers to relax in the San Bernardino Mountains.
Tuesday a man thought to be Christopher Dorner hid out in the main cabin, which turned out to be the spot of his last stand.
"I was just in shock," said Eric Funnell, whose mother owns the 7 Oaks Mountain Cabins.
Funnell's mother reached him Tuesday afternoon when he was at work.
"My mom texted me: 'Dorner's at the cabins. Firefight!'," said Funnell. "So I immediately found the closest TV, which was next door, and first thing I saw was our cabins there, and I was just in shock and disarray."
Funnell owns 911 Restoration Inc., a company that cleans up after fires and other disasters. Just last week, he says, he joked with a colleague that Dorner may end up at the cabins.
"I said 'Hey, I may need your assistance on a trauma scene cleanup because this guy is running loose around my mom's cabins,'" said Funnel. "And lo and behold I look on the TV and it came to fruition."
Funnell says no one from his family has been allowed to return to 7 Oaks Mountain Cabins while investigators are poring over the ruins.
Judging by news media aerial shots, he says out of the nine structures on the property, it appears only the main cabin was seriously damaged. It was burned to the ground.
But Funnell says the federally protected building is insured and will be rebuilt. It's an emotional loss that he and his family are trying to keep in perspective.
"We lost a cabin. There's others that have lost their lives, their loved ones, husbands and fathers, so what we've lost is nothing compared to what other people have lost too," said Funnell.
chris dorner, inland empire news, rob hayes
- 2 killed, 5 hurt in I-5 accident in Irvine
- Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
- Willowbrook gunman kills teen at apartment 10 min ago
- Metro to vote on fate of ExpressLanes pilot
- Oxnard teacher arrested for child annoyance
- Granada Hills fire damages strip mall shops
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NorCal bus crash: Mother of student sues FedEx
- abcnews: 'SOS' message saves marooned snorkelers
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- OTRC: Peter Jackson: 'The Hobbit 3' title changed 36 min ago
- Mac and cheese gets upgrade at Beer Belly
50 min ago