Inland Empire News
Community mourns slain San Bernardino County Sheriff's detective
YUCAIPA, Calif. (KABC) -- San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy Jeremiah MacKay was killed on the final day of the search for Christopher Dorner and was the final victim.
No funeral plans were announced Thursday. MacKay's flag-draped coffin was brought to the Mountain View Mortuary and Cemetery in San Bernardino. Flags were flown at half-staff.
Detective Jeremiah MacKay played the bagpipes. According to the Inland Empire Emerald Society, MacKay was their lead piper. The organization helps raise money for fallen officers. Their pipers are often tasked with playing at the funerals of officers. Now its members will likely honor MacKay in a similar fashion.
Outside the Yucaipa Sheriff's Station where MacKay was based, a memorial of flags, candles and flowers continues to grow.
MacKay was killed Tuesday in a gun battle near Angelus Oaks with a gunman believed to be fugitive murder suspect Christopher Dorner. A deputy was wounded in the shooting.
Tributes to MacKay on Facebook and elsewhere began pouring in shortly after he was identified by the sheriff's department.
MacKay's youngest child was born four months ago.
While funeral plans have yet to be announced for MacKay, the community is showing its thanks in big and small ways.
shooting, chris dorner, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- 1 shot, killed at North Hills nursing facility 9 min ago
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Budget deal: Liberals, conservatives grumbling
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Ukraine police stand down after protest grows
- Mega Millions jackpot to soar to $400 million
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Demi Lovato's cocaine, alcohol confessions