Inland Empire News
Vigil to be held for slain sheriff's detective, Jeremiah MacKay, in Yucaipa Tuesday
YUCAIPA, Calif. (KABC) -- The city of Yucaipa and its police department are planning a candlelight vigil in honor of slain sheriff's detective Jeremiah MacKay.
The vigil will be held in front of city hall Tuesday at 6 p.m.
The 35-year-old was killed Feb. 12 in a shootout near Angelus Oaks with fugitive murder suspect Christopher Dorner. MacKay was initially airlifted to Loma Linda Hospital with multiple gunshot wounds but shortly succumbed to his injuries.
The fallen deputy worked for the sheriff's department for 15 years, earning more than a dozen awards. A second deputy, identified as Alexander Collins, was also wounded in the shootout. He survived but has undergone multiple surgeries.
Hundreds packed a Corona bar Friday for a fundraiser dedicated to MacKay and Riverside police officer Michael Crain, who was buried Feb. 13. Crain and his partner, Anthony Tachias, were also ambushed by former LAPD officer Dorner. Tachias was severely wounded in both arms but was expected to be OK.
MacKay leaves behind a wife, 7-year-old daughter and a 4-month-old son.
His funeral will be held at the San Manuel Amphitheater in San Bernardino Thursday at 11 a.m. The Los Angeles Police Emerald Society Pipes and Drums, with whom he'd often played, will be there to send him off.
A fund was set up for anyone wishing to make a donation to MacKay and Crain's family.
For online donations via credit cards or PayPal, visit the Inland Empire Emerald Society website at http://www.iees.ie/.
Checks can be mailed to:
Inland Empire Emerald Society
1040 South Vernon Ave Suite G-333
Colton, CA 92324
shooting, chris dorner, inland empire news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Fontana suspect found after escaping from police 7 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...
- Stress management tip - call your doctor
57 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
52 min ago