Inland Empire News
80-year-old woman, dog stabbed in Riverside; female suspect sought
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Kim Lyman snuggled up to his family's dog, Gunner, Monday after a violent encounter with a bizarre suspect who broke into their Riverside home, stabbed Gunner and then went on to brutally attack an elderly neighbor.
"He had blood in his left lung, so she really stuck it to him," said Lyman.
The violence broke at the Meadows Mobile Home Park. Neighbors said Gunner's barking and sudden painful cry for help woke them at 4:30 a.m.
On their couch, the Lymans found a woman wearing a white hard hat and surgical gloves. There was a knife by her feet. They said she told them crazy stories about people trying to kill her. After finally getting her out of their home, they made the startling discovery.
"When I went back in the house, he had Gunner and we saw that he had been stabbed. We were scared and ticked off," said Suzy Lyman.
Police said the suspect then broke into a neighbor's home, and savagely beat and stabbed an 80-year-old woman. Neighbors heard the woman crying for help. The suspect fled in the woman's white 1995 Toyota Camry with the California license plate DPL2518.
As detectives continue their hunt for the suspect, the Lymans are counting their blessings.
"It's terrifying because we kept thinking, what would have happened to us?" said Suzy Lyman.
Gunner is expected to make a full recovery. The 80-year-old woman remained hospitalized in serious but stable condition Monday night.
Authorities said they believe that the suspect went to the mobile home park because she is related to someone who lives there.
home invasion, riverside county, stabbing, animal news, inland empire news, leanne suter
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)