Inland Empire News
Hemet budget issues may cost city firefighters their jobs
HEMET, Calif. (KABC) -- Financial woes could cost dozens of firefighters their jobs in Hemet. City lawmakers must soon decide whether to outsource fire protection services.
"We love our fire department. I pray for them every day. I think they are the best. If they need a raise, we need to give it to them and the police department," said Hemet resident Carla Hecht.
For city officials facing a $2.7 million shortfall, it's not raises, but cuts, they are looking at. One solution under consideration is contracting out the city's fire and paramedic services to Riverside County.
"We've cut 144 positions, we've furloughed employees, we've cut staff salaries, we've cut programs, we've contracted out several services, including our community center," said Ron Bradley, Hemet's interim city manager.
The city also outsources its animal control and trash collection services. But residents say they don't want to see their 115-year-old fire department disbanded to save a few dollars.
"The proposals submitted by the county, which I've read, doesn't make sense for Hemet," said Emily McDonough, a Hemet resident who is part of a group questioning the outsourcing proposal and whether it would save money.
McDonough said two of the three proposals submitted by Riverside County CAL FIRE cost more than what Hemet's own fire department costs to operate.
"The third option, while it is lower in cost, does not meet Hemet's Measure C mandate of reaching service calls within five minutes 80 percent of the time," said McDonough.
Whatever the decision, the city says part of any negotiation with the county would include the futures of the 45 firefighters currently employed by the city.
"These are young men and women with families, mortgages, children to educate, and part of our negotiations would be what happens to them," said Bradley."
riverside county, fire, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 21 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 1 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator 11 min ago
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'
- LA launches campaign to shut illegal pot...
55 min ago