Inland Empire News
Girl Scouts selling cookies in Phelan get $500+ stolen; suspect caught after surveillance pics released
PHELAN, SAN BERNARDINO COUNTY (KABC) -- San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies released surveillance photos of a suspect responsible for stealing a bag containing around $500 from a Girl Scouts troop in Phelan. The suspect was arrested at 7:20 p.m. Monday, hours after the photos were released.
The theft occured around 6:50 p.m. at Stater Brothers grocery store at 4059 Phelan Rd. The group of Girl Scouts from Troop 1303 was packing up about 6:15 p.m. Sunday after having sold cookies outside the store all day and left money they collected in a bag on a table.
A teen boy on a skateboard came and grabbed the money bag and fled, they said. One of the girls chased after the suspect, but fell and injured herself with minor scrapes.
The suspect was described as a white juvenile wearing a blue beanie and blue-and-gray-striped shirt. He was located at a gas station near Phelan Rd. and Baldy Mesa and arrested without incident at about 7:20 p.m. Monday.
The suspect faces a misdemeanor charge of petty theft punishable by a fine of $1,000 and/ or up to six months in jail.
The Girl Scouts organization will reportedly reimburse the local troop's funds.
Anyone with information regarding the theft was urged to contact San Bernardino Sheriff's Detective Jeff Toll at (760) 868-1006.
san bernardino county, robbery, inland empire news
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 53 min ago
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies 28 min ago
- Two men arrested in Simi Valley car thefts
- Anaheim fire: House had pack rat conditions
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors