Inland Empire News
Beagle finds alligator in Desert Hot Springs backyard
DESERT HOT SPRINGS, Calif. (KABC) -- A 11-month-old beagle named Lincoln Razz sounded the alarm when an intruder wandered into a backyard in Desert Hot Springs on Monday.
His owner, Daisy Maldonado, says on occasion he's been known to alert them to a spider crawling about, but this time, the intruder was an alligator, which is not common in the desert.
Animal Control Officer James Huffman got called out. He says at first he thought he'd be removing somebody's lost pet iguana. Instead, he found the 3-foot-long juvenile American alligator stuck between two fences.
"I wasn't sure what to expect when I got there. When I got up close to it, it was sure darn an alligator," he said.
Huffman carefully removed the gator using a dog leash and transported it to the Riverside County Animal Shelter in Thousand Palms. The reptile is kept secluded and away from the other animals - just in case.
"He's not able to inflict life-threatening injuries or anything like that, but he could definitely injure your hand or a finger," Huffman said.
By the time the alligator is full grown, it could weigh more than 500 pounds. There's no word on how the gator got there.
No one has come forward to claim it, but it's unlikely anyone will come forward because pet alligators are illegal in California. The alligator will likely end up living out the next 30 to 50 years at a sanctuary in Kentucky.
animal news, riverside county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker 28 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church 23 min ago
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC 13 min ago
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- VC suspicious death investigation underway
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis