Inland Empire News
Menifee post office burglarized, residents on alert
FONTANA, Calif. (KABC) -- An after-hours burglary at the Sun City post office has some residents there worried.
Over the weekend, authorities say someone broke into more than 30 postal boxes and swiped the mail inside.
Postal inspector Tracy Putnam is investigating the break-ins. Putnam says the suspect was likely after personal information, checks, or small parcels.
The owners of those P.O. boxes have been notified and asked to be on alert for suspicious activity involving their financial accounts.
"We're hoping that the people that the boxes got broken into can pass some information on to us," Putnam said.
Customers who heard about the burglary say they were surprised.
"You would think the post office box would be a safe place," said Judy Wiggins of Menifee.
The mail boxes are located in the lobby, which remains open to the public even when the post office is closed. But that could change. The post office is evaluating whether it needs to limit the lobby's hours.
"Some places where we have a higher crime rate or we have some previous histories, we close the facility down, it is not open 24-7," said Putnam.
Tampering with the mail is a federal offense; if the suspect or suspects are caught they could be facing a 5-year prison term along with a $5,000 fine.
burglary, riverside county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point 8 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Fundraiser held for Corona football player
9 min ago