Inland Empire News
Inland Empire baby girl in need of heart transplant finds donor
LOMA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- Holding a stuffed animal, 5-month-old Paisley Mae Arnold prepared for her life-saving surgery.
Her parents Rick and Charity received word Saturday night that a heart donor had been found for their daughter, and within a few hours, Paisley was in the operating room receiving a new heart.
"Paisley's doing OK, it's still really early, but as far as what the doctors have said, the surgery went very well," said Rick Arnold.
Arnold says there's still a risk of infection, and the possibility Paisley's body could reject the donor heart.
He and his wife discovered just three weeks ago during a check-up that their baby girl's heart was failing. Paisley had an enlarged heart with no left coronary artery.
To help buy her some time, doctors implanted a device to help get oxygen to her heart until a donor became available.
"To be listed only three weeks and to receive the phone call was just incredible," said Rick Arnold.
Arnold is a paramedic with the San Bernardino County Fire Department in Hesperia. His fellow fire fighters, friends and family members have helped raise money to cover some of Paisley's medical expenses.
The Arnolds are grateful for the outpouring of support and countless prayers.
"It's in God's hands and we just have to trust in him, and that's what we've done, and it's worked out," he said.
children's health, inland empire news, melissa macbride
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)