Inland Empire News
5-year-old girl pinned under bus outside Moreno Valley school
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- A 5-year-old girl is recovering in the hospital after she was struck and pinned under a school bus at a Moreno Valley elementary school Monday.
The accident occurred on the 11900 block of Athens Drive around 2:25 p.m.
Investigators say the bus was parked at Box Springs Elementary when it rolled backwards, struck the girl and pinned her under the wheels.
The victim was standing on the sidewalk and waiting for a ride home when the bus hit her.
The underage victim was rushed to the hospital for surgery. Her injuries aren't considered life-threatening.
The driver said she was activating a wheelchair lift at the back of the bus when it started rolling.
The California Highway Patrol is handling the ongoing investigation.
A crisis team was brought to the school campus Tuesday to help students cope with the accident.
CNS contributed to this report.
car crash, school, riverside county, inland empire news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis