Inland Empire News
Calif. busts marijuana grow ring; 10 arrested
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Ten people were arrested and thousands of marijuana plants uprooted after investigators uncovered a network of grow houses.
The illegal multi-state operation was shut down by federal and California authorities Thursday and reportedly spanned across Los Angeles, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties.
The suspects are accused of participating in a wide-ranging drug conspiracy linked to 15 different grow houses in several locations including Eastvale, Arcadia, Corona, Fontana, Riverside and El Monte.
Authorities executed search warrants at 26 different locations Thursday and seized more than $250,000 in cash, seven guns, and more than 8,000 marijuana plants.
According to officials, each house contained, on average, 1,000 to 2,000 marijuana plants.
Raymond Lam, of Arcadia, was named as the alleged coordinator. Lam reportedly led the trafficking and oversaw the purchase or lease of single-family residences which were then converted into indoor farms with the sole purpose of growing marijuana.
The remaining defendants were identified as:
- Simon Lam, 32, of Arcadia
- Ken Ho, 33, of Arcadia
- San S. Voong, 35, of Arcadia
- Phieu Tran, 35, of El Monte
- Augustine Bazan Camacho, 41, of Pomona
- Thanh Van Phu, 33, of El Monte
- Luc Kai Phoung, 50, of Rosemead
- Steven Huytu Lam, 52, of Walnut
- Li Ya Si, 42, of Temple City
An eleventh suspect, identified as Andy Tran, 39, of Monterey Park, remains a fugitive and is being sought by authorities.
The suspects are charged with conspiracy to manufacture, distribute and possess with intent to distribute marijuana. The charges carry a statutory maximum penalty of life and mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in federal prison.
Officials said the arrests and seizures are the result of a two-year-long investigation conducted by the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department and the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.
arrest, marijuana, marijuana growing, inland empire news
- Funeral service underway for LAPD Officer Lee 3 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia plane search widens into Andaman Sea 17 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini