Inland Empire News
Calif. busts marijuana grow ring; 10 arrested
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Ten people were arrested and thousands of marijuana plants uprooted after investigators uncovered a network of grow houses.
The illegal multi-state operation was shut down by federal and California authorities Thursday and reportedly spanned across Los Angeles, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties.
The suspects are accused of participating in a wide-ranging drug conspiracy linked to 15 different grow houses in several locations including Eastvale, Arcadia, Corona, Fontana, Riverside and El Monte.
Authorities executed search warrants at 26 different locations Thursday and seized more than $250,000 in cash, seven guns, and more than 8,000 marijuana plants.
According to officials, each house contained, on average, 1,000 to 2,000 marijuana plants.
Raymond Lam, of Arcadia, was named as the alleged coordinator. Lam reportedly led the trafficking and oversaw the purchase or lease of single-family residences which were then converted into indoor farms with the sole purpose of growing marijuana.
The remaining defendants were identified as:
- Simon Lam, 32, of Arcadia
- Ken Ho, 33, of Arcadia
- San S. Voong, 35, of Arcadia
- Phieu Tran, 35, of El Monte
- Augustine Bazan Camacho, 41, of Pomona
- Thanh Van Phu, 33, of El Monte
- Luc Kai Phoung, 50, of Rosemead
- Steven Huytu Lam, 52, of Walnut
- Li Ya Si, 42, of Temple City
An eleventh suspect, identified as Andy Tran, 39, of Monterey Park, remains a fugitive and is being sought by authorities.
The suspects are charged with conspiracy to manufacture, distribute and possess with intent to distribute marijuana. The charges carry a statutory maximum penalty of life and mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years in federal prison.
Officials said the arrests and seizures are the result of a two-year-long investigation conducted by the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department and the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department.
arrest, marijuana, marijuana growing, inland empire news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 33 min ago
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84 14 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 31 min ago