Inland Empire News
San Bernardino gas station robbery caught on tape; suspect at large
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (KABC) -- A brazen gas station robbery that happened in broad day light near Cal State San Bernardino was caught on tape. The suspect is at large.
Surveillance video was captured inside the store March 24 around 9:30 a.m. The suspect, who is seen in a black hooded sweatshirt, walks into the convenience store. He asked the clerk for the key to the bathroom, and the clerk unlocked it for him.
A few minutes later, he came back from the bathroom, ran behind the counter, and told the clerk to fill a plastic bag with cash.
Clerk Juana Lucena said the suspect demanded money, and then asked her to lead him to the safe. He started going through the cupboards underneath the counter, apparently looking for the safe.
But while his back was turned, that's when Lucena picked her moment and took off toward the front door.
The suspect ran after her, but Lucena made it outside and called for help.
"I was running, I was saying, 'Help, call the police,' I saw two or three people coming, and they helped," she said.
Three men ran after the suspect and tackled him to the ground. But the suspect didn't go down easy. The men got in a few punches, but the suspect got away.
Not only does the store manager want people to take a good look at the suspect and call police if they spot him, but he is also thankful to the three men who tried to help.
"At least they tried their best, you saw the video, they tried their best...so I'm really thankful for them," manager Haitham Wasfy said.
Anyone with information on the suspect is asked to call San Bernardino police.
robbery, caught on tape, san bernardino county, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing 16 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months