Inland Empire News
Smoke shop clerk attacked with hammer, robbed
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Police are searching for a male suspect who beat a smoke shop clerk over the head Tuesday and stole cash from registers at the business located at University and Chicago avenues.
The female victim was hospitalized in critical but stable condition. She was in surgery Tuesday afternoon.
Riverside Police responded to a report of the robbery/assault at about 12:30 p.m. Tuesday on the 1700 block of University Avenue.
Officers found a female employee locked inside the business. She was bleeding from a head wound. Officers had to forcibly enter the business as the woman had locked herself inside after the attack.
A UPS driver called 911 minutes after the attack.
Investigators determined a male suspect walked into the business before 12:30 p.m. and walked around inside. He then went behind the counter and struck the clerk with a heavy, blunt object believed to be a mallet-style hammer repeatedly on the head. The woman lost consciousness.
The suspect then opened cash registers and removed money. He took various other items and left, striking the victim on the back of the head on the way out.
The suspect was described as an African-American man in his late 30s/early 40s, standing about 6 feet tall and weighing about 210-230 pounds. He has thick brushy hair with a receding hairline.
The suspect was caught on surveillance tape during the robbery and assault.
Anyone with information related to the case should contact Riverside Police Detective Rick Wheeler at (951) 353-7134 or Detective Rick Cobb at (951) 353-7135.
robbery, caught on tape, inland empire news
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 32 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 58 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 23 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 12 min ago
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...