Inland Empire News
Homes of mayor, council members raided in Moreno Valley
MORENO VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Federal agents raided the homes of the mayor and city council members in a widespread corruption investigation.
FBI, IRS and officers with the Riverside County District Attorney's Office say they began serving search warrants at the homes of city leaders early Tuesday morning.
An FBI spokesperson confirmed that search warrants were served at the homes of Mayor Tom Owings and the homes belonging to all four city council members.
"It's never nice to be woken up in the morning by the FBI," Owings said. "Obviously, I feel I'm innocent of any wrongdoing, but there's been no accusations of wrongdoing."
Search warrants were also served at the home of Jerry Stephens, a real estate broker that lives within the city of Moreno Valley, and at the corporate offices of Highland Fairview belonging to developer Iddo Benzeevi.
Because the warrants are sealed, the FBI says they cannot comment on the nature of the investigation, but it is believed it is regarding corruption within the city's government. Federal investigators would not say how their investigation came about.
"It involves criminal investigation of influence peddling, campaign violations and political corruption," said Michael Moriarty, chief investigator with the district attorney's office.
The assistant city manager said the city has not been contacted by federal authorities, but would cooperate with any investigation. Owings is asking his constituents to remain patient and not rush to judgment.
"I don't believe I've ever done anything wrong in my whole life that would betray the trust of someone," Owings said.
Files and computers were seized, but no one has been arrested.
riverside county, inland empire news, leticia juarez
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year 5 min ago
- Man arrested in 'revenge porn' website case
- LA supervisors criticize Baca amid jail probe
- UC Riverside employee diagnosed w/ meningitis
- FBI arrest several alleged MS-13 gang members
- $50K reward announced in murder of 7-year-old
- Bell moving forward after Spaccia conviction
- Auto thefts up in CA after realignment -study
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom 21 min ago
- Bipartisan negotiators reach modest budget deal
- Eastern snowstorm brings closures, delays
- US Navy sailor surprises family on ABC comedy
- Gabor Xmas party to go on amid spending fight
- OTRC: Kate Winslet, Ned RocknRoll welcome baby
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
2 min ago