Inland Empire News
Vegetation fire near Highway 243 in Banning grows to 650 acres
BANNING, Calif. (KABC) -- A vegetation fire near Highway 243 in Banning burned hundreds of acres, but authorities said the blaze was not threatening any structures.
As of 5:45 p.m., the fire located east of Poppet Flats Road and north of Pine Cove scorched about 650 acres and was 20 percent contained.
Riverside County firefighters said the fire was being fanned to the east by 15 to 20 mph gusts in steep, rugged terrain.
The blaze was first reported at 11:43 a.m. Officials said the temperature in the area was about 80 degrees and relative humidity was about 8 percent.
Officials said about 412 firefighters, two helicopters and seven air tankers were on scene.
CHP officers closed Highway 43 at San Gorgonio Avenue and Wesley Street. Northbound drivers hoping to go down from the mountain area were stopped at Poppet Flats Road.
Flames and smoke were reportedly visible on Interstate 10 in San Gorgonio Pass.
fire, brush fire, inland empire news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 19 min ago
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar 12 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels concerts 23 min ago