Inland Empire News
Chris Dorner reward: Judge denies bid to block payouts
BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. (KABC) -- A judge denied an injunction request from a man who claims he deserves part of the reward for leading authorities to Christopher Dorner.
Rick Heltebrake, a camp ranger who escaped after being carjacked by Dorner, says his phone call to authorities on Feb. 12 helped lead them to Dorner, but he's not getting any of the money for it.
Friday, Superior Court Judge Luis Lavin declined to grant a temporary restraining order that would have stopped authorities from disbursing the money to four other people.
A panel of three retired judges granted about $800,000 to James and Karen Reynolds, who were bound and gagged by Dorner at a different mountain cabin before the final confrontation. Karen Reynolds got free and called 911.
Daniel McGowan, who found Dorner's burning truck in the Big Bear area where he eventually was discovered, will get $150,000. And $50,000 will go to tow truck driver R.L. McDaniel, who reported spotting Dorner at a gas station earlier in the manhunt.
The judges concluded Heltebrake's phone call did not provide information leading to Dorner, saying during the call he reported hearing gun fire, meaning law enforcement had already located Dorner and were engaged in a gun battle with him.
Heltebrake has also filed a $1 million lawsuit against Los Angeles, Riverside County and other reward contributors.
chris dorner, inland empire news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow 59 min ago
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire 11 min ago
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area 51 min ago
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
57 min ago