Inland Empire News
Chris Dorner reward: Judge denies bid to block payouts
BIG BEAR LAKE, Calif. (KABC) -- A judge denied an injunction request from a man who claims he deserves part of the reward for leading authorities to Christopher Dorner.
Rick Heltebrake, a camp ranger who escaped after being carjacked by Dorner, says his phone call to authorities on Feb. 12 helped lead them to Dorner, but he's not getting any of the money for it.
Friday, Superior Court Judge Luis Lavin declined to grant a temporary restraining order that would have stopped authorities from disbursing the money to four other people.
A panel of three retired judges granted about $800,000 to James and Karen Reynolds, who were bound and gagged by Dorner at a different mountain cabin before the final confrontation. Karen Reynolds got free and called 911.
Daniel McGowan, who found Dorner's burning truck in the Big Bear area where he eventually was discovered, will get $150,000. And $50,000 will go to tow truck driver R.L. McDaniel, who reported spotting Dorner at a gas station earlier in the manhunt.
The judges concluded Heltebrake's phone call did not provide information leading to Dorner, saying during the call he reported hearing gun fire, meaning law enforcement had already located Dorner and were engaged in a gun battle with him.
Heltebrake has also filed a $1 million lawsuit against Los Angeles, Riverside County and other reward contributors.
chris dorner, inland empire news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne 18 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case 9 min ago
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations 14 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Tips on how to avoid Xmas holiday hazards
7 min ago