Inland Empire News
Fallen Deputy Jeremiah MacKay's family gets home makeover
REDLANDS, Calif. (KABC) -- The family of fallen San Bernardino County Sheriff's Detective Jeremiah MacKay received an outpouring of support Wednesday as volunteers helped give them a total home makeover. MacKay was one of the victims gunned down by Christopher Dorner in February.
MacKay's wife and their children still live at their Redlands home. Lynette MacKay said when she found out The Home Depot was teaming up with the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, she couldn't believe it.
'It's amazing. It's like a whole new house, it's really cool," said Lynette MacKay. "It helps out a lot to know that people who don't even know me or my family are supporting us, and helping us get through this."
By the time they're finished, there will be new grass, new flooring, new appliances and new shelving.
Jeremiah's father, Alan MacKay, said it's been a struggle the last few months, but this is an incredible show of support for all public servants.
"The support kind of keeps us going," he said. "You know, these guys out here, the sheriffs, and the firefighters, and the EMTs, they lay their lives on the line for us daily. So it's just the way of the public giving back a little bit."
About 75 people were there to help out Wednesday, but so many people stepped forward to volunteer that they actually had to turn away more than 1,000 people.
"It's amazing, the outpour and the support we've gotten. Thank you is not enough," said Lynette MacKay.
She said her husband would be proud to see how the community has rallied around his family.
"He's smiling, he's smiling up in heaven," she said. "He's happy his family is taken care of and his kids now have a place to play. He is happy."
san bernardino county, shooting, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video