Inland Empire News
Riverside cracks down on mobile pot dispensaries
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Up until about a month ago, you could find a number of storefront dispensaries in Riverside. They were places where medical marijuana was available for pickup.
Some people, like Corey Wilkerson who uses medical marijuana, say they're in a tough spot now that the California Supreme Court has ruled that cities are allowed to ban marijuana dispensaries.
"I suffer from bipolar, and I don't like to ingest pills, so I smoke," said Wilkerson. "Since all the clinics closed down in Riverside, there hasn't been much of a way to get medicine."
Many of the shop owners who were forced to close down found a loophole. Instead of operating out of a storefront, they've decided to open a delivery business. But now the city has banned that too.
"We've seen everything from adults buying and then reselling to kids right outside on the streets," said Riverside Mayor Rusty Bailey.
Bailey says the city has good reason to ban not only storefront dispensaries, but mobile dispensaries too.
"We wanted to get ahead of that and make sure they knew we weren't going to accept that in Riverside," said Bailey.
But James Deaguilera, an attorney representing the marijuana co-ops, says the city is overstepping its bounds.
"The vehicle codes the state of California cover mobile activities, and they preempt the cities from regulating delivery services or distribution by vehicles," said Deaguilera.
Deaguilera said he's already filed a lawsuit over this. While some think mobile dispensaries are a positive thing, others are skeptical of those who would sell marijuana from their car.
"Most likely it's not for medical use, it's just for his own personal gain," said Dylan Baker of Riverside.
marijuana, medical marijuana, inland empire news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role