Inland Empire News
Deputy saves 7-year-old girl, 4 others from Victorville apartment fire
VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- The efforts of a quick-thinking sheriff's deputy helped rescue five people, including a 7-year-old girl, from a raging apartment fire in Victorville.
The fire broke out at the Northport Apartments in the 14000 block of Rodeo Drive shortly before 2:30 a.m. Saturday.
San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy Arturo Ramirez Jr. was first on the scene. He raced into the burning building after learning people were trapped.
On the second floor, he found one woman carrying her 5-month-old baby and an 11-year-old girl carrying her 2-year-old sister. He helped them out as smoke poured out of the building.
But then he saw two small hands banging on an upstairs window and raced back inside.
"I was just looking straight up and I was just trying to formulate a plan and I saw these tiny little hands beating on the window. I didn't say anything to anybody, I just said, 'That's her,' and I ran up those stairs," he said. "That was the best feeling in the world. As soon as I grabbed on to her, she grabbed me right back. It was instant. And that was just the best feeling."
The girl was staying at a friend's house for a sleepover birthday party when the blaze broke out.
"I saw the window, it was all fire by there, and I saw it cracking," said Nevaeh Nemess. "I went back in the living room and I said, 'Help, help!' banging on the window. He just picked me up and ran downstairs."
Witnesses say the blaze started on a first floor apartment and quickly spread.
Authorities say 10 units were destroyed and eight families are homeless. One man suffered minor smoke inhalation, but there were no other injuries.
Damage from the fire is estimated at $500,000. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
fire, san bernardino county, inland empire news, leanne suter
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 52 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought 15 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere