Inland Empire News
Deputy saves 7-year-old girl, 4 others from Victorville apartment fire
VICTORVILLE, Calif. (KABC) -- The efforts of a quick-thinking sheriff's deputy helped rescue five people, including a 7-year-old girl, from a raging apartment fire in Victorville.
The fire broke out at the Northport Apartments in the 14000 block of Rodeo Drive shortly before 2:30 a.m. Saturday.
San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy Arturo Ramirez Jr. was first on the scene. He raced into the burning building after learning people were trapped.
On the second floor, he found one woman carrying her 5-month-old baby and an 11-year-old girl carrying her 2-year-old sister. He helped them out as smoke poured out of the building.
But then he saw two small hands banging on an upstairs window and raced back inside.
"I was just looking straight up and I was just trying to formulate a plan and I saw these tiny little hands beating on the window. I didn't say anything to anybody, I just said, 'That's her,' and I ran up those stairs," he said. "That was the best feeling in the world. As soon as I grabbed on to her, she grabbed me right back. It was instant. And that was just the best feeling."
The girl was staying at a friend's house for a sleepover birthday party when the blaze broke out.
"I saw the window, it was all fire by there, and I saw it cracking," said Nevaeh Nemess. "I went back in the living room and I said, 'Help, help!' banging on the window. He just picked me up and ran downstairs."
Witnesses say the blaze started on a first floor apartment and quickly spread.
Authorities say 10 units were destroyed and eight families are homeless. One man suffered minor smoke inhalation, but there were no other injuries.
Damage from the fire is estimated at $500,000. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
fire, san bernardino county, inland empire news, leanne suter
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours 1 min ago
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 33 min ago
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 2 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 42 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies
- Injured LAPD officer released from hospital
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq 5 min ago
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut 54 min ago
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks