Inland Empire News
Yucaipa fatal deputy shooting suspect identified
YUCAIPA, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect who was shot and killed by San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputies Saturday has been identified.
Officials say 25-year-old Merlin Factor attempted to retrieve a weapon while struggling with officers in the area of Yucaipa Boulevard and 3rd Street at about 3 p.m.
The incident started after deputies were called to the 12900 block of 2nd Street following a disturbance call.
Upon arrival, deputies discovered Factor had vandalized a mobile home. A witness told officials the suspect was last seen with a female who resided at the location. A search for the suspect ensued.
Officials say the female Factor was last seen with called 911 a short time later.
Responding deputies responded to the area of Yucaipa Boulevard and 3rd Street and spotted Factor and the female in a vehicle. That's when deputies conducted a traffic stop.
A fight ensued as the suspect got out of the vehicle and began struggling with deputies. During the fight, Factor attempted to retrieve a weapon from his waistband. That's when one of the two deputies opened fire.
Factor was transported to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department's Homicide Detail is investigating the shooting.
deputy-involved shooting, robbery, kidnap, inland empire news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 10 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen 51 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny 13 min ago
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds