Inland Empire News
Hiker found dead in Thousand Palms; identified as LMU professor
THOUSAND PALMS, Calif. (KABC) -- A hiker found dead in Thousand Palms in Riverside County was identified Monday by Loyola Marymount University as one of their professors.
The body of 71-year-old Alan Hogenauer was found in the wash about a half-mile east of the Coachella Valley Preserve visitor center Sunday afternoon. Search crews had been looking for the man since Saturday.
"The entire Loyola Marymount University community is deeply saddened by the loss of Professor Alan Hogenauer," the school said in a statement. "In his many years at LMU, he was loved and respected by his fellow faculty members, the staff and the many students whose lives he touched. He was a warm and generous teacher who eagerly shared his knowledge and experiences with everyone he met."
According to the school, Hogenauer had worked at LMU since August 2000.
Investigators are trying to determine if extreme heat was a contributing factor in the death. Temperatures in the area exceeded 120 degrees this weekend.
riverside county, inland empire news
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments