Inland Empire News
Menifee teen in court for murder of half-brother
MURRIETA, Calif. (KABC) -- A 16-year-old Menifee boy accused of the murder of his half-brother was in a Murrieta courtroom Monday, shackled and wearing a yellow jail suit.
The teen is accused of killing his 11-year-old half-brother, Terry Smith Junior. Monday's detention hearing was continued to September 17.
A massive communitywide search effort was undertaken to find Smith. Authorities found the boy's body almost four days after he went missing.
Monday it was not revealed whether the teen will be charged as an adult, but he will stay behind bars at least until his next court date on September 17.
"The judge did make an interim finding of keeping him detained until at least the 9/17 hearing, and that was based on the safety of the public, as well as the safety of the juvenile himself," said John Hall, Riverside County District Attorney's Office.
The judge talked about the 16-year-old already being on probation, and said the boy has a history of violent outbursts.
Still, he did have a number of supporters outside, including friends from high school.
"I can tell you that there's no way, of all the people in the world -- it takes a certain kind of person to hide a body for four days, to lie to law enforcement for so long, and that's not [the suspect]," said Miguel Diaz, a friend of the suspect's.
High-school friends say if the suspect did kill his younger half-brother, he can't be the only one responsible.
missing person, riverside county, arrest, murder, inland empire news, rob mcmillan
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- 3 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors